This post has been taken from howtomakemyblog for educational purposes of our community.
Sometimes the time is right to move your content from one platform to another. You may have outgrown the platform. You may want to do a change that the platform doesn’t allow you to do, or you may just need a fresh place to work in. Blogging platforms are flexible and allow the content archives to be exported/imported into other platforms.
Now that you have your WordPress site ready and installed, it is the time to transfer your Blogger content to it. It is simple to move your Blogger to WordPress. The open-source community of WordPress is ready to welcome Blogger users.
A free tool has been developed to import posts, images and comments from a Blogger account into WordPress. This “Blogger Importer” plugin has been used by more than 500,000 people to transfer their content.
Shift from Blogger to WordPress(.org):
Following is the step-by-step guide on how to transfer your content from Blogger to WordPress. All this without losing your subscribers, search engine rankings and traffic.
- In your new WordPress Admin area go to Tools > Import in the left-hand sidebar. Click “Blogger” and on the pop-up window click “Install Now”.
- Then click on “Activate Plugin & Run Importer”.
- Now click “Authorise” to tell Blogger to let your new WordPress account access your Blogger account.
- (Note that if you get an error message about Google no longer supporting OAuth 1.0 use this plugin instead: Blogger Importer Extended.)
- Click “Allow Access” to your Google Account.
- Click “Import” to start the transfer process of your Blogger posts, comments, images and links to WordPress.
- Click on the “Set Authors” button when the import has been completed.
- Select the user you’d like to assign the posts to and click “Save Changes” on the “Author Mapping” page. This assigns all the imported posts to your author name in WordPress.
- In Settings > Permalinks in your WordPress admin make sure to select the URL structure to fit the structure you had on Blogger.
- Congratulations! The process of importing your Blogger content to your WordPress has now been completed.
Redirecting your Blogger visitors to WordPress:
Now we need to tell Blogger where your new site is. This is done to automatically redirect visitors and subscribers but also to keep your search engine rankings. Here’s how:
- Activate “Blogger To WordPress” plugin made by rtCamp in your WordPress admin.
- Go into Tools > Blogger To WordPress Redirection in your WordPress admin.
- Click on the “Start Configuration” button.
- Click on the “Get Code” button next to the correct site on the list of imported Blogger sites.
- Copy the generated code.
- Go to “Template” menu and click “Edit HTML” on the theme you are using in your Blogger Dashboard.
- Paste the copied code replacing all the existing code in the template and click on “Save Template”.
- Check that everything works by entering your Blogger home page or one of your old Blogger post URL’s in your browser. It should automatically redirect you to the new WordPress URL.
- Don’t delete your Blogger as it is still used in order to redirect your visitors.
- In Blogger Dashboard go to Settings > Other.
- In “Post Feed Redirect URL” click “Add” to enter your WordPress feed URL – by default the URL is yourdomain.com/feed/.
- Click “Save Settings” to redirect your RSS feed subscribers to your new feed.
Your Blogger posts and comments are on your new site now. Your search rankings are intact and your visitors and subscribers automatically get redirected to your new URL. You are ready to start growing your audience. The admin dashboard is where all the day-to-day magic happens. Explore the opportunities and possibilities for your new WordPress.